24 August 2007

Horse-Meat

Recently, I have been very busy with things (as usual), but I thought I might talk about a Japanese delicacy, raw horse-meat. Served in the same fashion as sashimi, it is eaten raw, usually with soy-sauce and ginger. I have yet to try it, I am not sure if I will be able to ever try this food, as my image of this animal is one of beauty and companionship.
The above image is packaged raw horse meat, or more commonly called basashi. 馬刺し。
It is also called "sakura" the same term used to describe cherry blossoms. This is due to horse meats very red coloring.
Something that should have never been created, raw horse meat ice cream. I can guarantee you that this is not popular any where in Japan, the thought of this makes one want to never eat ice-cream again. YUCK YUCK YUCK.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

AHHH the excitement of learning another country's culture. Be Brave my son, this too shall pass....


mom

Pablo said...

Yuuuuuuuuuuuk is right! Gwen ate horse meat during WW2; but, it was prepared like beef!! Sounds like you are thoroughly immersing yourself in the culture which is really super. Maybe one day your Dad and I can travel to visit with you and Meg? However, no exotic dishes for me :)
Keep smiling. Pablo (Paul) and Gwen